Welcome to the Thursday addition of Canada Cups – Cross Your Heart Relay!!
I was lucky enough to interview Melissa from Ann’s Fabric Shop for the Canada Cups – Cross Your Heart Relay!
Ann’s Fabric Shop is a family owned and operated business that opened in 1974 and is located on the Hamilton Mountain. Ann’s Fabric Shop began as a small fabric store but has now grown to one of Canada’s largest supplier of stretch fabric. The shop has an extensive collection of unique fabrics, trims and crystals. Ann’s Fabric Shop also has on online store so please visit the website.
Here is my interview with Melissa.
Can you first tell me about your shop and when you open it?
- My mother, Ann, opened the store in 1974. It is a family owned and operated business catering to the dancing and skating industry. Located on the Hamilton Mountain we began as a small fabric store and have now grown to be one of Canada’s largest premier suppliers of stretch fabrics. Upon completion of university, my brother Franco and I took over the store. Though our parents Peter and Ann are still very involved in the business. Our knowledgeable and helpful staff focuses on customer satisfaction to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations. Our extensive selection, unique designs and focus on quality make us one of Canada’s best kept secrets.
Where is your shop located and hours of operation?
- We are located at 570 Upper James St. on the Hamilton Mountain.
- Business Hours are Monday to Saturday 9 to 5:30 and we are closed on Sundays. We do have a summer shut down every year for 2 weeks.
Do you also have an online shop/website?
- We do have an online shop within our website. We are currently looking into updating our website to offer customers more of a variety of fabrics online. We do suggest to customers to send us requests of what they are looking for via email and we try to reply back with pictures or information.
Why did you decide to open your own shop?
- I am going to tweak this answer slightly and say why I chose to join the family business after university. My brother and I have always had a passion for the family business and admired our parents for what they accomplished. Its wonderful to be able to work with your family everyday and see something that your parents worked so hard at continue on.
What fabrics/notions do you specialise in?
- We specialize in stretch fabrics, fashion fabrics, trims, crystals, evening fabrics and crystal appliques. Along with many other various fabrics. We have a wide selection of stretch laces, Lace trims, Spandexes, both printed and plain, stretch velvets, both plain and glitter, foiled and holographic spandexes. We also have a vast selection of crystals and beaded trims.
Do you offer classes in your shop or on Craftsy? If so what types of classes do you offer? Who teaches the classes?
- Currently we do not offer any sewing classes, however our staff is very knowledgeable in offering sewing advice.
When did you first start to sew and what are your favourite pieces that you sew?
- My mother taught me how to sew at a very young age. By the age of 6 I was making homemade sewn Christmas gifts for all the members of my family each year. One of my favourite and most memorable items I made was my daughters baptismal gown. My mom and I hand sewed all the appliques and spent many many many hours on it.
So please go to Ann’s Fabric Shop and check out the amazing selection of fabrics, notions and crystals – this shop is definitely a one of Canada’s best kept secrets!!
♥Sunday, September 11
♥Monday, September 12
- Valérie, la Élégantine, gets us airborne with some lingerie of her own, même en français
Her Bosom Buddy Michelle S. from Little Heart Threads, balances with more sweet lingerie
- Lisa who drinks Glitter in my Coffee brings us an Uplifting post
- Rachel of The Wild Stitch manages a little tête-à-tête with Emerald Erin
♥Tuesday, September 13
- Lisa fits right in as a new Pin Up Girl
Her Bosom Buddy, Shelaine, also makes her first bra
- Rachelle gets up close and personal with Carrie from With Love Lingerie
- Valérie returns with a whole new Bosom Buddy to tell us about Miss Maika Fabrics(This girl gets around!)
♥Wednesday, September 14
- Rachelle gets to the bottom of things with her review of a Craftsy class
Her surrogate Bosom Buddy Michelle N. from Michelle’s Creations dishes on the same Craftsy class
- Jessica from Gracious Threads gets the skinny on our Fairy Bra Mother
- Deb of Sprouting Jubejube chats with Emilie from Jalie
♥Thursday, September 15
- Karin gets chaotic (twice!) with corsets at Mrs. Weaver’s Finest Unmentionables
Her BB Marsha flies by the seams of her pants into the corsetry web
- Shelaine is up to something and we have no idea what
- Michelle gets Mrs. Weaver to talk about her Finest Unmentionables
♥Friday, September 16
- Wild Stitch Rachel tries her hands at designing her own assets
So does her Cross Country BB Jess from the west
- Valérie est du rétour avec une entrevue de Blackbird
- Michelle N. takes us to a secret spot in the centre of things
♥Saturday, September 17
- Michelle S. returns to talk to Wendy about her bespoke bras. Be what??
- Marsha gets a taste of what’s behind Farthingales’ corsets
- Meanwhile BBs Deb and Michelle N. go bottoms up in panties
♥Sunday, September 18
Whoohoo! It’s giveaway day today!
♥Monday, September 19
Have you entered the giveaways yet? Today’s your last chance.
♥Tuesday, September 20
Giveaway winners announced on all the blogs:
Life of a Fairy Bra Mother, Little Heart Threads, Glitter in my Coffee, Michelle’s Creations,Mrs. Weaver’s Finest Unmentionables, Braphoria, Gracious Threads, Élégantine!, Shelaine’s Designs, That’s so Venice,Sprouting Jubejube, Flying by the Seam of my Pants, The Wild Stitch, Farthingales Corset Blog
♥After September 20
- Come back to visit all the blogs for followup posts. It’s always fun!
- Craftsy class discounts expire at midnight Sept. 30